Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Grant refused offer to stay as director of soccer

TEL AVIV, Israel (AP) - Fired Chelsea manager Avram Grant rejected an offer to remain with the club in his former position as director of soccer.

"I understand the proposal, but personally it wouldn't be the right thing to do at this stage," he said Tuesday.

Chelsea fired the 53-year-old Israeli on Saturday, three days after the Blues lost the European Champions League final to Manchester United on penalty kicks.

Chelsea owner Roman Abramovich brought Grant to the club as director of soccer in July 2007, before promoting him to manager two months later when Jose Mourinho left.

"There are no problems with Chelsea. I am speaking with them directly and not through lawyers," Grant said.

"I wish them good luck and I will go my own way. Chelsea was a great period in my life, really great. I enjoyed it, professionally it was an amazing experience."

No comments: